There’s something really special about summer running. Not only is it the perfect opportunity to soak in some essential vitamin D, but it’s so necessary after months of quality time with the treadmill. There’s just one catch: Things can get steamy — and fast. That’s right, running in the summer may as well feel downright impossible. Before you know it, you’re using every ounce of mental strength to keep moving forward, and prevent yourself from abandoning ship entirely.
If you’re a fan of logging hot-weather miles, then this list of summer run thoughts is for you:
1. Maybe it’s not so bad out here?
2. Just start with five minutes … OK, five more minutes…
3. Do I actually want to be doing this?
4. I’m glad I wore a cap and sunglasses.
5. Why didn’t I check the heat index?
6. If I run on the shady side of the road, my tan lines might not be so bad.
7. This still beats the treadmill.
8. Did I put on SPF?
9. A solid 6 miles should about do it.
10. I should take up trail running — there are more trees (aka shade).
11. My legs feel a little stiff.
12. Maybe I should sign up for a marathon…
13. … A half-marathon might be more fun.
14. I need to update this playlist bad.
15. Stiff, but this pace isn’t too shabby.
16. When did 8-minute miles become … easy?
17. OK, it’s definitely getting hot now.
18. This humidity is the worst.
19. It would be impossible to sweat more than this.
20. If I were on a treadmill at the gym, there would be AC….
21. Another runner! Should I smile? Probably not. Head nod.
22. A little rain would be nice right around now.
23. Mmm, water.
24. I think there’s a water fountain up ahead.
25. I should’ve brought a water bottle.
26. Is that chafing under my left arm or a bug bite?
27. This is definitely chafing weather.
28. I’m gonna need to find a water fountain soon.
29. How is that person over there moving so fast?
30. Why do I like running again?
31. What’s my mantra again?
32. A little cloud cover could be nice.
33. I definitely should’ve started this run earlier.
34. I must be halfway done by now.
35. Maybe 3 miles is good enough.
36. Is it possible for me to move any slower?
37. That driver is texting! You better not hit me, man — I’m running here.
38. How do people run in the tropics without passing out?
39. God bless downhills.
40. This tank top tan is definitely happening.
41. The forecast says 80ºF but it feels like 110 out here. Stupid. Heat. Index.
42. Need. Water.
43. This would be easier if I had a running partner.
44. Home. Stretch.
45. Maybe I should’ve gotten more sleep.
46. After this I think I’m good for at least a week of running.
47. I need a beer.
48. Hello, sweet finish.
49. That actually wasn’t so bad.
50. Shower time!
51. Man, I love running.