With gyms closed, more and more people are turning to running outside and at-home workouts to stay fit. For many, as long as it’s done in a safe way that includes social distancing, running outside can be a great outlet. Not only does it improve your sense of well-being, burn calories and encourage you to stay active longer, but running can also help manage stress and anxiety. Just be sure to follow local orders around social distancing, face coverings and the like.
If you’re lacing up and pounding the pavement (or trails) during this time of social distancing or shelter in place, then this list of random thoughts you have on a run is something you can hopefully relate to:
1. I can’t wait to get outside. Glad they still consider exercise essential.
2. Maybe I don’t need to cover my face if it’s just me out there and no one else?
3. Don’t be silly, bring a face mask.
4. Definitely. Bring a mask.
5. I’ll wash my hands before I head out.
6. I should wear a baseball cap for extra covering.
7. And sunglasses.
8. Is it even sunny out? It’s spring, right? I haven’t left my apartment in days.
9. The things I would do for a treadmill right now.
10. Is six feet really enough? I’ll double it, just to be safe.
11. I want to air hankie so badly, but I will use my sleeve.
12. Maybe I should sign up for a race in the fall.
13. Are IRL races ever going to happen again?
14. Thankfully, there is no one out here on the streets.
15. But if I see someone, I’m going to run in the bike lane.
16. OK that person is way too close to me.
17. I miss running with friends.
19. My nose itches. Do. Not. Touch. It.
20. Running isn’t supposed to be hard right now. It’s just good to get outside.
21. Is that chafing under my left arm?
22. Why am I giving other runners the stink eye for being outside? We’re all trying to take care of ourselves.
23. I finally feel like I can breathe.
24. I need to turn off this news podcast, it’s ruining my vibe.
25. Focus on the run. Focus on the run.
26. I miss drinking from water fountains.
27. Is that hand sanitizer for sale in the store window?
28. Must. Avoid. Grocery. Store. Line.
29. Maybe I should try doing some speed work next week.
30. I need to update this playlist.
31. I should sign up for a digital race.
32. I can’t wait to drink a beer when this is done.
33. I should get more sleep and stop staying up so late.
34. I miss my running buddy.
35. I should call my running buddy.
36. What day is it?
37. I do enjoy my at-home HIIT workouts.
38. I should find a new running podcast.
39. OK crossing the street so I’m nowhere near that clog of humans.
40. I should probably try meditating.
41. God bless downhills.
42. I miss racing.
43. There’s absolutely nothing better than a good run.
45. I am so grateful for my body.
46. I can do this. I can do this. [Insert mantra.]
48. That felt so. So. Necessary.
49. I need to wash my hands.
50. I am so thankful for running.