It takes a lot of grit to be a runner during the winter. Of course, there’s the safety net of taking your run inside to the treadmill when the temperatures dip really low. But if you’re willing to brave the chill, things can get intense — and fast. Running in the cold can feel downright impossible until it feels exhilarating. Before you know it, you’re using every last ounce of mental strength to keep moving forward and prevent yourself from skipping out.
If you’re determined to log cold-weather miles, this list of winter run thoughts is for you:
2. Just take it nice and easy for, 10 minutes.
3. Should I just do this at the gym?
4. Could it really be ___ºF — and not much, much colder?
5. Must run faster to warm up.
6. Holy snowman. Should’ve checked the wind chill.
7. The sun is almost fully up, maybe I’ll feel warmer soon.
8. OK, I’m OK out here. I’ve got this.
9. I can make it about 4 or 5 miles.
10. I need to plan a tropical vacation (aka, get me to warmth).
11. My legs feel stiff. Actually, my whole body feels stiff.
12. Maybe I should sign up for a marathon.
13. I should’ve worn thicker socks.
14. If I move faster, maybe I’ll feel less frigid.
15. I definitely can’t feel my fingers.
16. Am I even sweating?
17. If I were on a treadmill, I wouldn’t have this slight burning feeling in my lungs.
18. I should’ve worn more lip balm.
20. Another runner braving the cold? I’d wave, but see number 15.
21. You are strong. You are capable. You can do this.
22. I wish I had slept longer.
23. Maybe I should only do 3 miles.
24. What am I going to eat after this?
25. This would be easier if I had a running buddy.
26. Great, my hair is frozen.
27. Yup, I still can’t feel my fingers.
28. I should pop into a store to get some fluids.
29. Glad I have this beanie.
30. Oh, this Bon Jovi track is my jam.
32. I should’ve brought a snack.
33. What do runners do when they live in Canada?
34. Ten. More. Minutes.
35. My nose is running faster than I am.
36. Glad I didn’t go the treadmill route.
37. Does this chill factor mean I’m burning more calories?
38. Should I drink a beer or a cider after this?
39. Why am I suddenly so hot?
40. Almost there.
41. Coffee first.
42. I need to buy some sort of neck warmer.
43. My legs are coming to a halt.
44. Hello, finish.
45. Get me in a steaming shower, ASAP.
46. That could’ve been worse, actually.
47. I think I’ll do this again tomorrow.