Cycling is a sport that can make you laugh and cry … sometimes all at once. Give these 15 cycling memes a try when you need to brighten your day.
1. Upgrading from a stock wheelset is a good way to improve your speed and aerodynamics. The bad news: It can be pricey — costing in the neighborhood of $1,000–$3,000. If your spouse is a non-cyclist, this kind of price tag can be downright laughable.
2. Every once in a while, you just might get that cycling newsletter in your inbox that changes the way you think about nutrition, training or racing. Reading them instead of sending it straight to your electronic garbage could help you learn more than you might realize.
3. Remember everyone at the office agreeing to take part in bike-to-work day, but you’re the only one who shows up with a bike? That’s not cool, but commuting to work is. Here’s how to get started.
4. Cyclocross can sound like a ton of fun. The reality is it’s a tough sport and might not be right for everyone. If you don’t have a wild side you’re looking to unleash on the bike, you might be suited for other disciplines.
5. Mid- or post-ride coffee stops are a tradition of many cyclists on a group ride. Unfortunately, some of the side effects include prancing around in Lycra, tapping wood floors in cycling cleats, and yes — helmet hair. And while that’s probably unavoidable, here are some annoying things cyclists should try to avoid at all costs.
6. Have you seen the new Specialized Venge Vias, or the Cervelo P5x? These superbikes are absolutely drool worthy, but the price tags, which head north of $10K, are enough to make you sick.
7. Cycling in the winter can be downright miserable. And while the right gear can make a big difference, some weather conditions make it impossible to ride outdoors. Another ride on the indoor trainer while you wait for spring temps can be, well, miserable.
8. Ever have your bike stolen? I have, and I got it back. Needless to say, it felt pretty good for justice to be served.
9. Interval training is one of the best ways to mix up your training and get faster on the bike. Doing the actual workouts, though, especially if you’re new to this type of training, can feel a lot like pulling your friends around the neighborhood.
10. Every group ride needs a few sprints thrown in for fun. And while trash talking is part of the game, some ride partners just take it too far.
11. A road bike, gravel bike, mountain bike, commuter, single-speed and triathlon bike? Yep, I need all of those, and a garage to store them.
12. Not all cyclists follow the rules of the road. Aside from not being a good ambassador, some cyclists can create a dangerous environment for everyone on the roadways — and that’s just not funny.
READ MORE > 35 SIGNS YOU’RE A CYCLIST
13. There’s a lot of cycling advice on the internet — and some of it is better than others. Remember that not all advice is good advice and to use your better judgement when deciding what works for you.
15. Forget to check stem and handlebar bolts or how tight your wheel skewers are? This can lead to catastrophe out on the road. Never forget the pre-ride bike check.